5/7/12

5/2/2012 6:06 PM

Bill has suggested a few times that I write something everyday.  I think he’s worried that I’m spending my unemployment time curled up on the couch cursing the world (ok maybe some days he’s more right than I’d like to admit) instead of busting my hump looking for another job.  He means well & I know he has my best interests at heart, but honestly I’m not really sure I have anything to say.

No, that’s not true; I have TONS of things to say, I just don’t think anyone wants to hear them.  The funny (ironic not ha ha) part about that is that I'd like to have a real conversation with someone again that wasn’t over the “interweb” thing.  That’s probably not a good thing right now however.  Since I live alone, I’d probably start talking and never shut up (just like your stay at home friends with young kids when they finally get a few hours alone with adults).

In some ways I completely miss my English & Philosophy classes because at least two times a week there were 10-15 people engaged in conversation (that admittedly sometimes turned into rather heated discussions) about the same subject.  One of my favorite professors would sometimes insist we put ourselves in the shoes of a (usually non main) character in order to look at how the story was put together from their point of view.  John Milton’s Paradise Lost was my favorite exercise because we were able to pick which character we wanted to investigate.  It was one of the hardest books to read/discuss because most of my classmates were strongly committed to their various religions (where I am not – committed or religious).  It probably didn’t help that I choose Lucifer as the character with which to relate.  I blame/credit Prof. White with the way I (try) to look at things.  I say blame because it’s also the reason no one wants to watch tv with me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment