8/16/13

8/16/13

….remember when I said I thought I was finished with all the “Dad’s dead” calls?  Well as it often happens, I was wrong.  J  Yesterday I got a letter from Travelers letting me know that the electronic payment for his homeowners insurance had been declined.  Oh crap!

Talked to a very nice and informative CSR named Lorie (see there are good ones out there).   Unless I can get the houses in my name she can’t change the policy over to my name or make any real changes (she was able to change the mailing address to mine that’s a plus!).  The policies are active and “sort-of” current so I’m not in danger of defaulting on those – yet.  On 9/7 I need to pay $88.50 on the rental (with the total due by 11/1 of $169.01 that I can pay off at any time) and $169.84 on the one he was living in (with total due by 10.17 of $499.52 that I can pay off at any time).  Happy Happy Joy Joy…

Finally got in touch with Javier; from Norfolk Circuit Court.  I’ve made an appointment for Probate Court for 9 am Monday 8/26.  I need to bring the original will, a death certificate (only the second ‘real’ one I’ve had to use) and a method of payment.  Since I can’t do ANYTHING until this is done I need to get the funds together and the ball rolling. 

… and if you’ll indulge me a bit of… well just keep reading.  The other day I was asked on my blog why I keep posting about all of this and in such detail.  At first I was taken aback by the question (after all it’s not like I’m forcing anyone to read, right?) but after a minute or two I decided to answer the question.  In a nutshell… 1. Because I’ve always been a journaler of sorts. It’s how I work things out, it’s how I try to make permanent things I don’t want to forget (or in some cases make sure they really did happen the way I felt they did J ), and in a way I guess it’s one way to leave proof that I was here.  2. And the biggest reason has to be so that someone – anyone can learn from my experience.  I keep saying someone needs to write a book on what you’re supposed to do when the last parent dies, but frankly you wouldn’t have time to read it.  There are so many things that didn’t happen when Mom died since dad was still alive that just automatically transferred to him.  Dad, no matter what else you think of my account of our relationship, was a very proud man.  For him to allow me to help him these last 7 years or so with all of his health issues was a HUGE concession especially considering our relationship for most of my life.  But because he was so proud, and because he felt it was his duty as a man to take care of his children (and not the other way around) there were things that I didn’t know and/or couldn’t convince him was not only in his best interests but mine.  There are also a ton of things we didn’t know or even consider finding out about.  If I can help someone else navigate these waters, get their plans in place, look at what they want for their parents and/or kids then blurting out my private information for the world to see is just my way of giving back.  It’s my way of saying how much I appreciate those that have been helping me through all of this muck.


Thanks for reading.  Now go start working on your “this is what I want to happen if something happens to me” notebook.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment