8/11/13

8/11/13

This has been one of those days that has been “off” for me since I woke up this morning and I haven’t been able to figure out why.  I don’t think its one thing or the other…but it’s something… and it’s frustrating that I can’t put my finger on it.  I’m the kind of person that needs a solution to the problem (even if the solution isn’t doable); I don’t do well with the abstract kind of solution.
The other day I was talking (i.e. texting) with Russ & he asked me how I was doing.  Russ is one of the few friends that I can actually say anything to & it doesn’t phase him in the least little bit (yes even those monthly issues).  I just blurted out that my eyes were tired and how strange that felt to me.  I didn’t know how else to explain it… they just blasted hurt.  If I closed them they felt better but otherwise they just burned, ached and/or hurt.  As is his nature (at least with me) he said that was pretty normal and that I’d been through a lot these last few months; I just needed sleep and water.  Sleep and water?  Ok if you say so.  Don’t tell Russ, but I did sleep in an extra hour the next morning.  My eyes are still ‘sore’ but not nearly as much as when I talked to him.
I know it’s hard to believe someone like me is a private person…especially considering how much of my non-existent life is on Facebook and my blog… hang on a second.  I don’t think I’m a private person per se… I just don’t tell anyone how I feel about things that are important to me because they won’t get it.  That sort of hit me today when I was cleaning the house (sort of).  Let me explain.
I was dusting off the bookcase that I wasn’t sure I wanted to bring home with me (although secretly I really did want to save it)….and at the time I couldn’t figure out what the hesitation was.  Even while I was at Dad’s I felt like I let Shawn talk me into taking it back with me (I needed something to put all this stuff I was going to have to go through of Dad’s but I wasn’t sure I really had the physical space for it…. at least that’s what I kept telling myself).  So I’m sitting on the floor & I’m trying to dust the bottom shelf when I get a memory flash that hit me hard.  It’s a Saturday morning at the old house (the one I grew up in, the one we’re … ooops I’m renting) & I’m sitting on the floor dusting this very same bookcase.  It’s up against the half wall that separated the living room and kitchen.  It was loaded with some of Mom’s books & I had to make sure I put them in the same order she had them in (gee I wonder where I got that from).  I’ve always thought that Dad built that bookshelf for Mom; don’t know if it’s true or not, but it’s always been her shelf… and I didn’t even realize that until today.  Funny how that works out isn’t it.
Fred came by to pick up the camping stove and spoon today.  He kept saying if I changed my mind about some of the things he put his “dot” on & wanted to keep them he’d understand.  That’s something else I keep hearing from people that had “dotted” items.  I have yet to understand why I keep hearing the same thing over and over again until I talked to Fred. 
Because of his drinking, Dad and I have had a rocky relationship since day one; it only got better once Mom died ironically (there’s something about realizing we are the only ones we had left that made us work on our relationship).  I’m starting to see how funny it looks to “outsiders” the things I want to keep of his and the things I have no problem getting tossing in the trash.  For example there is one tool box that I wanted – have no idea what’s in it or if I’ll ever use any of the tools in it (and I KNOW I don’t have the space for it) and one particular plant.  I wanted to make sure I had room in my truck to bring that plant back (and one for a friend of mind that I had no attachment to what so ever)  that  I was kind of short with Shawn when I realized I didn’t have room to bring it back this trip.  I’m just glad she stood her ground and didn’t back down to me b/c frankly right now I haven’t pulled out space for it yet.  Dad’s plaques and ships had to come back with me, I want his water bottle full of change, and all the records/camera equipment.  There were a few dishes, pots/pans that I wanted….seriously who wants a pot that is only 3” across?  Me that’s who.
The other thing I’m having a hard time getting used to is not jumping every time the phone rings (which doesn’t happen nearly as much now that he’s dead… which brings point #2: dead vs passed.  Dad is dead, he died – he didn’t “pass”).  I don’t have to answer every phone call I get (which means if you call from a number I don’t recognize you better leave a message) and/or have to have the phone sitting on the table 24/7.  Very strange feeling since that’s been my main concern for the last few years –phone above all else in case something happened with him.  Things are so much more different than they were when Mom died.

When do I go back to normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment